Monday, July 4, 2022
HomeNewsAnthony Milford has plenty of time to get fit and leave Newcastle...

Anthony Milford has plenty of time to get fit and leave Newcastle Knights legacy, says Andrew Johns

0
(0)

Newcastle legend Andrew Johns has said Anthony Milford’s delayed return to the NRL could be a blessing in disguise as it gives him time to get fit.

The 27-year-old was expected to sign for the Rabbitohs for the 2022 season, only for the deal to fall apart when assault charges were brought against him. The court case has since been finalized and the assault charges against Milford have been dropped.

Now, after clearing the way to play for Newcastle in the second half, Johns says the former Bronco needs to put his head down.

READ MORE: Tennis world divided by ‘crazy’ Wimbledon decision

READ MORE: Young gun cowboys copying icon contract scheme

READ MORE: Olympic gold medalist opposes transgender athletes in competition

READ MORE: The “Absolute BS” Ponga Myth That Infuriated Joey

“If you’re just dinkum, you can be fit in four, five, six weeks,” Johns told Wide World of Sports. Immortal behavior.

“You watch boxers before a big fight. They go to camp and it’s for five, six weeks, two months – and they prepare to fight heavyweight boxing matches that are 12 rounds.”

Johns said if Milford loses weight and stays on track, he could be a key contributor for the Knights, even if only temporarily.

“If he commits, and if he’s only at Newcastle for a year, he can leave a legacy at Newcastle. We know the player he is, what he did at Canberra, what he did five or six years ago when he got to the grand finale [with Brisbane]he was one of the best players in the world.

“If he gets back into shape he will be a huge asset to the club. It gives depth in halves, depth on the bench and depth at the back.”

Stream the NRL Premiership 2022 live and for free on 9Now.

Milford is at the Knights on a one-year deal and is expected to reunite with former coach Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins in 2023.

Bennett has criticized the NRL’s decision-making, saying last week he “couldn’t understand” Milford potentially not being allowed to return to action.

“The courts have cleared Anthony of assault,” Bennett told reporters last week.

“The criminal justice system dealt with him. Anthony is a 200-man player and a first-time offender in the NRL. He pleaded guilty to the minor charges, but the courts agreed he was not not guilty of assaulting anyone.

“Based on that, I hope he’s back in the NRL very soon. I know Anthony won’t offend again.”

For a daily dose of the best news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by click here!

If you have any query regarding content, please comment below. Thanks

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments