Raging fire breaks out at bed and breakfast on Nantucket Courtesy Nantucket Current
NANTUCKET, Mass. — A massive fire that destroyed a historic bed and breakfast on Nantucket over the weekend was most likely caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, officials announced Monday.
Firefighters responding to a report of blaze at the Veranda House hotel at 3 Step Lane just before 7 a.m. Saturday found the 18-room bed and breakfast engulfed in flames as thick smoke consumed the downtown area.
The raging fire began beneath the front porch, where hotel trash was stored, according to Nantucket Fire Chief Stephen A. Murphy, Nantucket Police Chief William Pittman, and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey.
In a statement, Murphy said, “It began beneath the front porch, where smoke alarms inside couldn’t immediately detect it. We’re extremely fortunate that everyone made it out safely, and I want to recognize the heroic efforts of community members whose immediate action under dangerous conditions helped to save lives.”
Ostroskey added, “Never stub out a butt on a porch or stairway or toss it in a planter, mulch, or debris, where it can smolder unseen before igniting a fire. Use a heavy ashtray with water or sand and keep it on a sturdy surface. And be sure to put it out, all the way, every time.”
The hotel was left completely gutted and charred debris littered the street after part of the building collapsed. The fire also spread to several other buildings, which have been deemed a total loss.
Firefighters battled the blaze for more than 12 hours before it was finally extinguished around 8 p.m.
There were no injuries to civilians. Four firefighters were transported from the scene. They have all since been released from the hospital.
The three-story hotel dates back to the late 1600s. It recently underwent renovations in 2020, according to the Nantucket Resort Collection.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
©2022 Cox Media Group