REVERE, Mass. — Revere Mayor Brian Arrigo on Thursday filed an emergency request for the court to impose a receivership for a high-rise that was condemned after a devastating fire last month in an effort to oversee the improvements necessary to the property.
The fire, believed to be started by a cigarette at the 370 Ocean Avenue apartment building, caused fire, smoke and water damage to several floors. Some displaced residents have been living out of their cars since the blaze because they cannot afford a long-term hotel stay or apartment lease.
When inspectional services and health department workers returned to the building after the fire, they found tenants still living there without power and water, and they discovered mold and pre-existing fire code issues, among other problems, the city said.
The city deemed the building, which is owned by the Carabetta family, “unfit for human habitation, displacing 82 residents.
In addition to the filing, the city has also moved to foreclose on all three properties owned by the Carabetta family for outstanding tax title issues. The property owners have $1.9 million in past taxes owed to the city, according to Arrigo.
Arrigo also directed ARPA funding to be used as an emergency fund to assist displaced residents in finding new permanent housing.
“We will take every legal action possible against Carabetta for ignoring their legal obligations and total disregard for human dignity and decency as landowners and property managers in our city,” Arrigo said.
Arrigo plans to hold a meeting for displaced residents next week to update them on the current process and address some of their ongoing concerns he has heard through their work with the city human service agencies and provide resources to support their relocation to new permanent housing solutions.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
©2022 Cox Media Group