A recent discussion of Russia’s demographic crisis on Russia’s biggest talk show.
– People do not understand that the Church offers them true salvation because, in 30 years, you will be cleaning Chinese boots, and working as taxi drivers as our nobility did in Paris at a certain historical period. Our Dukes and Earls spoke several languages but could find no better job. I can imagine the work that those lucky enough to survive will have.
– You are an optimist. You have a fairly optimistic view of the world.
– Well, I’m a wise optimist. Our population is shrinking. We are approaching another demographic crisis. Our replacement rate will soon be 1.2-1.3 again. We will lose a million people a year, despite all the calls to resuscitate the Russian family. There should be seven or eight children on average. On average! Mendeleev (the famous scientist), for example, was the 17th child. This is how it should be. Yes, some families may not have children, but we need a high average or we won’t survive. We won’t even preserve our population of 140 million by 2100. See?
– It is very sad, Father Dmitry.
– I’m sorry, but it’s the truth. Sometimes the truth is bitter. And this is not only the task of the president. Every Russian should do his part if he wants his grandchildren to inherit Russia and not another state with other people. As soon as we become weak, the country will plunge into demonic chaos.
– So the role of the Church should not be underestimated?
– The Church plays a key role. I was reading lectures at the General Staff Academy when a general approached me. He said, “Now I see that no one cares about us except the Church. True patriotism is only found inside the Church.” Because the Church is the guardian of Russian history.
Dmitry Smirnov is one of Russia’s best-known priests and has a huge following. He is ubiquitous on TV, radio and YouTube, where his videos frequently get hundreds of thousands of views on his channel. (Russian only).
He is a brilliant and excellent speaker in debates, known for his quick wit and quick feedback. He is particularly popular for his sermons, all of which are on his YouTube channel, and is by far the most popular preacher in Russia.
He is one of Russia’s leading anti-abortion activists, outspoken in his criticism of LGBT people and an advocate for homeschooling. He heads the Russian Church’s Committee for Family, Motherhood and Children and is loudly urging that Russians start having large families with four or more children or else they will be overrun by Muslims.
You can see all the articles we have published about it here. His website has links to his audio podcasts and all of his media appearances.
If you have any query regarding content, please comment below. Thanks